Lean on us when heartbreak and healing go hand in hand.
Alive is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization that provides compassionate end-of-life care, palliative care, bereavement support and community education. Founded in Middle Tennessee in 1975, Alive Hospice is accredited by The Joint Commission and has held its Gold Seal of Approval for many years.
Alive entered the Middle Tennessee landscape in November 1975, only one year after the founding of the first hospice program in the United States. At the time, and through grassroots movements, other hospices also began appearing across the country. Like the group of individuals gathered together by Alive’s founders, Dr. David Barton and the late Dr. John Flexner, what unified those movements was compassionate people committed to helping patients live in comfort until death occurred and families to grieve with support.
Alive Hospice was chartered in 1975 as a nonprofit organization dedicated with three core goals: providing comprehensive care for terminally ill patients and their families; offering support for grieving adults and children; and serving the community as a center for research and education.
Today, Alive serves more than 3,600 patients and their families annually (more than 430 daily) and provides grief support services for nearly 600 adults and children in Middle Tennessee in addition to training for tomorrow's caregivers and education for the community at large.
We provide loving care to people with life-threatening illnesses, support to their families, and service to the community in a spirit of enriching lives.
To be recognized as expert providers of hospice care, palliative care, management of advanced disease and grief support and to be the agency of choice for the provision of these services.
To be recognized as innovators and leaders in all aspects of end-of-life resources.
To influence the perceptions within the community and among medical professionals so that the end of life is accepted as a meaningful component of the human experience.
- We believe death to be a natural part of life’s journey.
- We believe in honesty and integrity in all we say and do.
- We believe in compassion to those we serve and to each other.
- We believe in respect and dignity for all.
- We value competent knowledgeable staff motivated to achieve personal and professional growth.
- We believe in accountability to society, our community and each other.
- We believe in responsible stewardship of the resources with which we have been entrusted.
- We believe in the continuous pursuit of organizational excellence.
- We believe in teamwork to achieve our vision and mission, and to support our values.
Statement of Inclusiveness
As the only not-for-profit, community-based hospice in Middle Tennessee, Alive Hospice never turns anyone away, regardless of ability to pay, insurance status, race, religion, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, or disability. We live our mission to provide loving care to people with life-threatening illnesses, support to their families, and service to the community in a spirit of enriching lives.