End-of-Life Issues in Family, Health, Ethics, and Spirituality
The Symposium is open to all. Typical attendees include health care professionals, family caregivers, social workers, grief counselors, faith leaders, end-of-life service providers, students, and anyone who will one day die.
This special annual event is an important part of Alive’s mission as a non-profit, which is to provide loving care to people with life-threatening illnesses, support to their families, and service to the community in a spirit of enriching lives.
We hope you will join us, and add your voice to the conversation!
Tickets on Sale
Thursday, November 7 | 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Belmont University, Janet Ayers Academic Center
Parking is free, breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Register now and save:
- Tickets will be $45 after Sept. 1 and $75 at the door
- Students are FREE (student ID required)
Click Here To Register
Campus Map | Parking and Directions
This educational event is an important part of Alive’s mission as a non-profit, which is to provide loving care to people with life-threatening illnesses, support to their families, and service to the community in a spirit of enriching lives.
Ali Drescher is the Grief Center Director at Alive. During her career, she has held leadership positions in both for-profit and nonprofit sectors. She established the Grief Center of Middle Tennessee and served as a speaker with PESI Education, providing grief education for mental health providers across the nation. She is a highly sought-after speaker addressing topics related to grief and mourning, and is known for her creative, interactive and story-telling presentation style.
Drescher is a licensed professional counselor; Fellow in Thanatology: death, dying, and bereavement; and a certified grief counselor. She holds a Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy with a focus in play therapy. She is also a member of the Association of Death Education and Counseling, the National Alliance for Grieving Children and the American Counseling Association.
The Alive Symposium is a program
of the Alive Institute
Alive's Center for Education, Outreach, Innovation and Advocacy
Learn about the Alive Institute:
2018 Keynote Speaker, Dr. Jessica Zitter:
2018 Interfaith Panel:
- 7:30 - 8:30 am: Registration and breakfast
- 8:30 - 8:45 am: Welcome from Alive President/CEO
- 8:50 - 9:50 am: Interfaith panel on the end of life
- 10 - 11 am: Morning breakout sessions A
- 11:10 am - 12:10 pm: Morning breakout sessions B
- 12:15 - 1 pm: Lunch and visit vendors
- 12:40 - 12:50 pm: Comments from sponsors
- 1:10 - 2:10 pm: Ali Drescher, keynote address
- 2:30 - 3:30 pm: Afternoon breakout sessions
- 4 - 4:30 pm: Closing remarks
- Obligations and Outcomes in Caregiving
- Preparing to Make the Decisions No One Is Prepared to Make
- Palliative Care Chaplaincy and The End of Life (Panel Discussion)
- New Realities of Mourning in our Technology-Driven World
- Caring For Our Warriors at the End of Life
- Natural Burial: What We Bury at The End of Life
* Subject to change.
If you're interested in reserving a vendor's booth, contact Keith King at 615-346-8418 or email@example.com.
Thank you to our event sponsors for their generous support.
Windlands South, The Oak Tree Advisors, Fifty Forward All of Us Research Program, Gilda’s Club, Nashville Public Library Book Fair - Thompson Lane Branch