Published on December 2, 2020
For many of us, the legacies of loved ones have been passed on through the meals and recipes we share, generation after generation. Our Heirloom Recipe series will highlight the love and traditions that transcend our plates and live on forever in our hearts.
Pumpkin Bread, submitted by Christine Stiles, Sr. Graphic Designer
The photo is of a recipe book my mother gave me when I got my first apartment in college. In the book, she wrote out the recipes for our favorite family meals and baked goods, including the one below for Pumpkin Bread. We have been adding to the cookbook ever since and it continues to grow with yummy memories.
Makes 2 large loaves or 8 mini loaves
» 3 c. sugar
» 1 c. salad oil (vegetable)
» 4 eggs
» 1 large 30oz. can (or 2 small 15 oz. cans) pure pumpkin puree, not pie mix.
» 3 1/2 c. flour
» 2 tsp. baking soda
» 1 tsp. allspice
» 1 tsp. baking powder
» 2 tsp. salt
» 1 tsp. nutmeg
» 1 tsp. cinnamon
» 1/2 tsp. cloves, (ground)
» 2/3 c. water
- Cream sugar and oil together.
- Add eggs and pumpkin. Mix well.
- Sift together dry ingredients; alternately add dry ingredients and water a little at a time to sugar mixture.
- Pour into well greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours for large loaves (2) OR Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes for small loaves (8)