Alive’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee
Alive was founded with the mission to provide loving care to people with life-threatening illnesses, support to their families, and service to the community in a spirit of enriching lives. To achieve this, we strive to ensure every Alive employee, patient, family, and community partner is valued and treated with dignity and respect.
The purpose of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee of Alive is to connect, represent, and celebrate the diversity within Alive and the community we serve by identifying barriers against professional and personal growth within Alive and providing educational resources tailored to promote inclusion and equity in all our interactions.
Our approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion is rooted in building relationships, fostering diverse and inclusive environments, while leading with curiosity to understand others’ experiences and beliefs. We are committed to being an inclusive committee where everyone feels respected, valued, heard, and engaged.
“Through the colleague driven focus on DEI, the committee is striving to create a culture that supports both the individual colleagues and the community they service while also aligning with the Alive mission of enriching lives.” – Beth Workman, Chair of the Alive Board (Chief Financial Officer, United Derm Partners)
Candidates are seeking diverse workplaces:
- 2 out of 3 job candidates seek companies that have diverse workforces. (Glassdoor)
- 74% of millennial employees believe their organization is more innovative when it has a culture of inclusion, and 47% actively look for diversity and inclusion when sizing up potential employers. (Deloitte)
Diversity improves performance:
- 92% of business leaders agree a strategic workforce education program should help an organization achieve its diversity and inclusion goals. (InStride)
- Corporations identified as more diverse and inclusive are 35% more likely to outperform their competitors. (McKinsey)
- Diverse companies are 70% more likely to capture new markets. (HBR)
- Diverse teams are 87% better at making decisions. (People Management)
- Diverse management teams lead to 19% higher revenue. (BCG)
Membership and participation:
The DEI Committee is employee-led and will consist of 8-10 members representing an adequate mix of different departments and roles to offer varied perspectives and cover the needs of each department. Members serve a three-year term. When there are openings on the committee, all staff who have been with the organization for 90 days or more will be invited to apply to fill these positions.